May 15, 2008

Welfare Economics

A friend said about my posts (1, 2, 3) on my personal blog that I have started writing on Welfare Economics, it seems!

Indeed, I am interested in social welfare, and I believe that we can do that best by responding to people's economic incentives. Though you can start trumpeting about free markets, I am fairly skeptic about self-regulation by the industry (mostly because of sub-prime crisis).

You may term this as a populist view, it possibly IS so, because social welfare (my initial interest) itself in a way is populist.

That's why I liked the term - Welfare Economics.

Update
Capitalism (or the term I used - free market) does not mean government's favouritism towards business - from the Zaxlebax problem. But I may sound cynical in saying that the current shade of capitalism as we call, has been corrupted by politicians, without the end in near sight.

No comments: